Sunday, September 2, 2018

Power of language

In the midst of stressing about school work and university applications, my family and I took a trip to Quebec. Specifically, we went to Quebec city. The city was filled with historic artefacts that I absolutely fell in love with. I explored the city down to its roots and got to know the journey that the Quebecois people took to get to where they are. I learned that the majority of the people living in the province are actually settlers from France. Due to this, French is the primary language in Quebec. My french language education lasted 7 years but still wasn't perfect. This meant that I was more comfortable speaking in english when wanting to ask for directions or any general inquiries. Little did I know this was frowned upon. As I approached an elderly woman with her children, I started speaking english thinking she would understand, as the majority who speak french also speak english, and she looked at me in confusion. I then started tried again in french this time and built up sentences with basic words that I know. As she saw me attempt to speak in french, she started answering my question in fluent english. This exact encounter frequently occurred as we were meeting people. I soon found out that when you initially approach and begin speaking in english, they take offence to the idea that you expect them to speak the english. They intern, out of respect, would rather us attempt to speak in french when approaching. If it is evident that they can’t understand they will then begin speaking in english or guide us to get help. This power dynamic occurs because of the history that Quebec was built around. It was first the French settlers that came in from France and took over the area making “french speaking”. Being the only French speaking province in a mostly English speaking country allowed for the people of Quebec to feel like minorities and powerless due to their language barriers. This leads them to expect that anyone coming in to Quebec should attempt to speak in their native language as I a sign of respect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

TATD Narrative Style Analysis

Many authors use many different types of narrative techniques in order to portray their idealized goal to their readers. “Stream of conscio...