Sunday, October 15, 2017

Bob Marley's Legacy

April 24, 1978 
Bob Marley's Legacy:


Interviewer: 
“We just about witnessed what might be a life changing event for many citizens of Jamaica. At this very crucial moment in Jamaican politics, two political leaders joined hands with Bob Marley on stage at the “One Love Peace Concert” as a truce and a celebration of the ending of constant killings. Bob Marley’s emotional performance raised money and improved the conditions in the Kingston ghettos, Marley’s hometown. The audience that night was divided by love as sections of the house were named: togetherness, love, and peace. Thanks to Bob that night opened many eyes and we could go as far as saying helped stop the on-going civil war. 
I’m sure everyone would very much like to hear from the ”King of Reggae” himself on how his music could change a whole community for the better. Thank you for taking the time out to speak with us here on The Rolling Stone.”

Bob Marley: 
“ It’s a pleasure being here”

Interviewer:
So everyone wants to know, what galvanised you to do such a thing?”

Bob Marley:
You know, seein’ your country/town that you grew up in, almost go down in flames, its heartbreakin’ you know, and me just figured I have such a great platform to raise my voice and stand up for peace and stand up for a truce, and that was kind of the backstory to the “One Love” song that I preformed. This would have to be one my favourite songs to preform, because it has such a compelling message behind it. A message of unity, peace, and love. It has a warm and light hearted feeling that when we are together, anything is possible man.”

Interviewer: 
“There seemed to be almost a peak in those 5+ hours of the concert. To you what would you see the highlight was?”

Bob Marley: 
“You know I’m all about showing unity and a sense of togetherness. So me call on Michael  Manly and Edward Seaga to hold our hands together up high while singin’ “jammin’”, and show Jamaica that we will stay together even in low times. During the concert I said that: “I invited people of the slaves to shake hands to show the people that you love them right, to show the people that you gonna unite, show the people that you’re over bright, show the people that everything is all right.” Me tried so hard to send a message across to these people, and hold them tight in arms. I know I don't talk proper english very good but I hope it was clear to everyone what my purpose was. I want to give love instead, I want to make love drown hate.”

Interviewer:
Seeing as you like to take part in politics wether its in your songs, or while preforming in concerts, don't you ever get scared that doing so, might cause in a rage in someone that disagrees and potentially hurt you?”

Bob Marley:
“When you say take part in Politics. I don't know what it is You say stand up for my community and take part in my rights. I know what that is. I don't care what man doesn't like, my rights are myself. My life is myself, you know.  All I have is that. I am able to say, I don't want this I want that. Me a rebel man. Me a revolutionist. 

Interviewer: 
“So when you look in the mirror, is that what you see?”

Bob Marley:
“I take no bribe from no one, meh fight my problems single-handed. My music, is the future. It is the escape. Me see myself as someone who don't have no help for no man.” 

Interviewer: 
“Well there’s no doubt that your music, has brought hope to the people in Jamaica in time of great catosrphe and a time where people had very little light left, but your music seemed to allow them to hold on to that little string of happiness they have left. Do you agree that your music and talents rose to fame in perfect timing?”

Bob Marley:
“Well, very much. There was political and social problems in Jamaica and people in poverty and bad living, they needed someone to give them hope. They needed something fresh and vibrant, a sort of boost. Everyone needed positive energy and a fresh perspective, and I hope that with my music that was something unforgettable.”

Interviewer:

“I’m sure that the people of Jamaica will thank you very much for everything you provided. Thank you for spending this time with me, I’m sure the pope of America will appreciate it just as much. We all can’t wait to see what the future of reggae looks like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

TATD Narrative Style Analysis

Many authors use many different types of narrative techniques in order to portray their idealized goal to their readers. “Stream of conscio...