Tuesday, October 3, 2017


Bilingual In a New Country?


I spent a total of 2240 days out of my life living in Canada. That’s a total of 6 years, 1 month, and 20 days. I lived in an area where when people heard me speak in a different language on the phone with my mother, the whole school would gather in a circle just to listen to the conversation in Arabic. They found the sound of a different language so fascinating.  I would most often hear phrases like, “So if you’re from Arab, then how do you speak such perfect English.” (Just to clarify I did not make a mistake there. Yes they would actually ask me if I was from Arab). 

At the age of 9, I entered grade 4 not knowing anyone or anything about the school and the environment. Knowing all the odds were against me, I still harnessed all the power I had in me, because I knew the only thing that made me confident was my ability to speak “perfect english.” 

Before going to Canada, I was actually born and raised in the U.A.E. which meant that from a very young age, my english was very strong as I have been learning it since I was little. Knowing that I was able to communicate just as well as all my classmates, really gave me the confidence to get through the first day. Making friends was easy, as a I had 25 curious kids run up to me asking about the exotic place that I had traveled from. I had to explain to them that I was from Dubai since in this day and age that is the place that is most known. Even though I had actually lived in Abu Dhabi, I knew that that would cause confusion so I just stuck with what they know. 

The curiosity did not just stop at the students. I remember very vividly that the teachers were the ones that asked me the most questions.They even asked to prepare a slideshow presentation explaining to my class where I was from, and where it was on the map. The presentations and projects didn't stop there. I even went on to lead an art project where they had me write on a piece of paper every students’ name in Arabic, and they went on to outline it in paint. I was also volunteered to speak to the whole school at the annual talent show, where my “talent” was speaking another language.

Even though people found it very unique that I spoke a different language, at the end of the day my life consisted of primarily speaking english. That’s 6 years of waking up and going to sleep, speaking in english. No Arabic practice, not writing, not reading, and not speaking. This definitely put a toll on how well I could communicate with my family back in the U.A.E. My skills in reading and writing continued to be the same as where I left them, which was grade 3. So when I ended up coming back here to the UAE, it was definitely an insecurity that I faced. I felt that part of my identity had been broken or fractured. Luckily when I came back I could recover very quickly and I instantly felt more connected with my culture as I progressed my skills in reading and writing. 

As a 9 year old at the time I loved all this power and authority I was given just because I was bilingual. At the time I started thinking being bilingual wasn’t all that bad. That’s when I was proven wrong. The more and more that me and my family got comfortable with knowing that we were the people that were able to speak a different language, especially Arabic, the more and more our adventures got interesting. We owned a farm back in Canada, and every once in a while, we would take our produce up to the farmer’s market and sell our organic fruits and vegetables. 

One day a man came up to our stall and started asking us for incomplete orders and changing his mind quite frequently on what he wanted. We were very busy at this moment, so my aunt started to get frustrated. The man looked quite Caucasian with dirty blond hair and ocean swept eyes, plus we very rarely meet other Arabs. So, in Arabic, she says “Listen man, our stall isn't just set up for you, there are other people waiting, get your head together!” 


The man replies in Arabic, “I won’t be much longer”, he then takes his produce and marches away. 

3 comments:


  1. This blog post definitely matches the text type of a memoir as Hala speaks about her interaction with language over a timeline of when she leaved in Canada, to when she moved back to an Arabic country. This contrast allows readers to contrast the reaction of different cultures when faced with a foreign one. In her writing, she gives the reader an insight that when she was emersed back into her own culture she felt more connected to it, and therefore felt more accepted into her community than in Canada.
    If I were to give her an improvement, it would not be on the structure nor the content as those were done quite well. However, a small change that could be done would be to correct some of the grammar (i.e. English, instead of english).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post matches the definition of a memoir in which your post incorporates memories you had in the past. I really liked the way that you explained and were able to allow the reader to visualize how the people were fascinated at the language. You also gave a couple of nice examples of the conflicts you had with being bilingual which I can totally relate to. I know that you're from Palestine and being born in the UAE and growing up in the UAE, did you ever get confused with the different dialects? I really liked the ending of the memoir, it really is like a cliff hanger. I would've liked to have known the way your aunt reacted to that haha. Overall I would say an improvement would be to incorporate more feelings that you were experiencing when these events happened. Giving an insight to your feelings would be really interesting! I do think this was an interesting memoir though, good job <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can clearly see that the memoir is personal as this entire post is about your experiences with being bilingual - the 'power' you had in Canada because of their fascination with you speaking Arabic. You slid in that dialogue at the end which, in my opinion, was the perfect ending. And the way you built up that background of the power to speak in Arabic in Canada was well done because I could feel that you felt special and that all went away when the customer replied back in Arabic. Like, you're not the only ones. I, too, say that I live in Dubai to foreign people because of the fact that it's seems to be the most known and I don't really want to explain that Abu Dhabi is the actual capital city of the UAE and that Dubai is in the UAE, etc. After that 'incident' with the man replying in Arabic, how do you feel now? Why were you shocked? Is it because he looked caucasian and was able to speak in an unexpected language? But, seriously though, I really loved this memoir.

    ReplyDelete

TATD Narrative Style Analysis

Many authors use many different types of narrative techniques in order to portray their idealized goal to their readers. “Stream of conscio...